Monday, January 31, 2011

Dante's Inferno Helps Self-Improvement....

Whenever I needed a little comfort after I’ve done something wrong and would sit alone and scold myself, my mom would calm me down by telling me that everything would be OK and remind me of the old saying that “no one is perfect”. Growing up I realized every person has a flaw or sin. However, a problem occurs when we know about our shortcomings and chose not to correct them so we can become better people. I can use Inferno to identify and fix some of my “sins’” by simply keeping the poem in mind with whatever choices I make.
I like to think my mother raised a pretty sensible child. I know right from wrong, I’m not a thief and I try not to make myself out to be a liar. But I also know of my imperfections. Every now and then, when I’m bored in the house I like to eat just about anything that’s in my kitchen. Then there’s times where my family is at a restaurant and I can have my own food right in front of my face and want a generous portion of everyone else’s. When reading Inferno I realized that this is not only unhealthy, but it’s a sense of both greed and maybe even gluttony. Instead of overindulging in food when I’m not hungry I am now more aware of my “greed” and try to only eat when I am hungry (despite a few snacks here and there). Instead of being the self-proclaimed food taster at the table when my family and I go out to eat I try to be content with my own servings.  
Through this poem I not only learned how to curb my appetite but also how to curb my flaws. I will continue to strive for perfection as best as I can by acknowledging my shortcomings and trying to correct them.

1 comment: