Monday, January 10, 2011

"Now you see it, now you don't"

It seems as though John Fraser has a restaurant that is destined for failure but unlike most restaurant owners - this is what Fraser wants. Fraser is well aware of the fact that his restaurant might not make it until July, six months from now. The fact that his business just might fail is what motivates him and he's making the most out of his situation. Buying only the things that my mom would consider the "bare necessities" to make his business survive, not thrive but simply survive.
Call me an over achiever but I would never buy property under the terms that Fraser did. I would want the most lavish chairs in my bakery not "dozens of chair...bought on Ebay...under $10 each". I would think my customers deserved much more then that! But, hey, what do I know about owning a business? Maybe Fraser's way of business isn't so outlandish, but smart.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/dining/05temp.html?ref=dining

3 comments:

  1. I agree that businesses are not built to fail but to be prosperous and rake in the cash (lol). Maybe, Fraser is a genius in disguise and has money to blow on a rundown restaurant. I on the other hand, would rather play it safe when it comes to money in regard to wasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Fraser deliberately opens a restaurant destined to fail because he is an innovative risk taker. People will flock for the sake of curiosity, and then stop showing up. Maybe the man will make a mint. I keep thinking of the Broadway show - The Producers - in which two men open a Broadway show destined to fail and they make out like bandits.

    ReplyDelete