Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Best Friend, My Brother (Choice*)

This man pictured to the right is someone who I hold dear to my heart. He’s been in my life for approximately 11 years and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. Donald Houston is my best friend. When I first moved to Lindenwold from Camden, he came over and introduced me to the neighborhood. I have to admit, I wasn’t the friendliest person at first, but he looked past that and showed me the ropes. We’ve grown so close over the years that my mother claims him as her son and his mother claims me as her daughter. We argue just like siblings but regardless we have each other’s back - blood couldn’t make us any closer.
This Sunday I was pleased to open up the Courier Post to the sports section and see my brother’s picture. He placed 1st in the High Jump. You see, track is his passion and it made me proud to see not only is he pursuing his passion but he’s excelling in it as well! He keeps setting his goal higher and higher until he achieves it, that’s something I admire about him. I don’t know where the future may lead us come June but I know where ever we go we will always keep in touch. Someone once told me, “good friends are hard to come by so you should cherish the ones you have” and I plan to do exactly that!

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that there are still great athletes here at Lindenwold that haven't given up or in my case force out from previoous injuries. I love hearing good things about our school one every level possible (classroom, field/court, and stage.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this when my dad brought home a newspaper! I'm always happy to see Lindenwold do well, and I'm glad you have such a good friend.

    May I refer you to Ms. Lee's blog for a funny little thing on friendship

    http://directyurlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/chita-rivera-bruce-adler-and-george.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. just saw your comment on Ms. Lee's blog, well I tried to make connections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friendships are hard to keep, especially through high school. I am very glad to see that you two still are good friends. Sometimes people lose connection for a while but true friends can always pick back up from where they left off. don't let graduation be the last time you guys talk. a friendship like that should last forever. Just think, later in life, your kids will be calling him "Uncle Oopy" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding good friends is like finding the lost city of Atlantis in this day-and-age. Therefore, you should cherish even the 'okay' friends you have. Keep surrounding yourself with success and you're bound to be succesful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Essence? ..Unfriendly..No!!?? Hahaha! I'm just kidding. Thats sweet how close you guys are. That must of been some track meet because that's the second time I've seen that picture now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of our track team. They are really working hard and it's paying off. i can't wait to go to one of the meets.

    ReplyDelete