Thursday, March 17, 2011

Our (In-Class) Great Debate - (Choice*)

Yesterday in class our debate got a little more then heated. The topic was about the teacher who blogged terrible comments about her students, previous and present. If you were in the room during the debate you would surely feel the heat!

The cause of the tension was that some of us believe that the teacher (Natalie Munroe) should have been more professional about her “venting” and wrote in a personal diary, others of us thought that Munroe had all the right to write whatever she wanted , where she wanted – after all, what happened to freedom of speech?

Even though I understand where the other side is coming from, I will have to say I agree solely with the fact that Munroe should have been professional and kept her comment in a personal journal – at home! She’s a teacher for crying out loud! Wouldn’t she be smart enough to think that she would be exposed sooner or later? Don’t get me wrong, she does have the right to express herself but it’s a time and place for everything. How would she feel if the shoe was on the other foot – a teacher talking bad about her child especially the way she spoke about her students? I’m sure the tables would be turned.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. Posting stuff on the blog can easily be taken out of context, and I think what she did was foolhearty and insensitive. Any teacher with class and half a brain would have kept the comments within their home. I just detest bad-mouthing and gossip.

    ReplyDelete